Community Comments Guidelines
I have created these guidelines to enable focus on the most commonly shared principles I believe are crucial for a discussion community to thrive. They may be amended at any time without prior notice in keeping with the growing needs of my site and its commenting community. A comment posted by you anywhere on my site constitutes your acceptance of and adherence to these rules. Beware - transgressors will be blocked from making further comments! All comments posted (without exception) are moderated before approval and inclusion on my site.
The Guidelines in full
Keep it civil!
Please ensure any comment you leave is civil - whether it’s an original comment posting by you or a response to a comment or thread by others. Healthy debate is great! Even heated discussions are okay, as they often involve topics we all personally care a good deal about and will defend with a passion! However, for discussions to thrive here, we have to stick to the golden rule - criticise ideas, not people.
So, remember to avoid (in particular):
- ad hominem attacks.
- responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
- knee-jerk reactions.
- flagging/down voting another contributor’s comment merely because you disagree with them as a user.
Personal attacks and harassment won’t be tolerated. In particular, sexist, racist, misogynistic, homophobic, and broad, offensive generalisations about groups of people are absolutely not allowed. Comments or discussions that appear to have been intentionally written to offend and provoke will not be posted.
Choose your (curse) words wisely! Please remember anyone may read a comment made by you that has been moderated and allowed through to the page. Comments that contain profanity are automatically held for moderator review before being posted, and depending on the type of profanity used in context with the comment, it may be allowed through. Profanity that appears to have been intentionally used to insult, antagonise or inflame will not!
You need to be at least 18 years of age to navigate any part of the James Taylor-Loftus website. If you are not, then I politely request you leave now! See Website Terms and Conditions.
Strive to add value
If you are not sure your comment adds to the conversation, think again about what you want to say and try again later. Always strive to add value to every interaction and discussion you participate in.
Keep it tidy
- please post in English only.
- check if another active discussion on your comment topic has already been posted, and add to that rather than creating a new comment and discussion thread.
- don’t cross-post the same comment in multiple threads.
- stay on topic. For example, the “Ask The Author!” part of my website primarily concerns me as an author; in particular, what and how I write, and my reading preferences. This does not preclude a more comprehensive discussion (expansion) by the community of any question put to me about what and how I write (or of what I read) into an examination of how other authors write, or of what is taking place in the world of literature. Think relevance, and all is possible!
- ensure all comments are genuinely yours, i.e., don’t copy and paste someone else’s comment(s). If you didn’t write it or haven’t properly cited an article you’re quoting, then don’t post it! Do not post anyone else’s copyright material.
- you may upload an image with your comment, but please keep it relevant and tasteful!
- do not post personal contact details, e.g., home address, phone numbers, or emails.
- self-promotion is not allowed. A comment or discussion containing only a link to your blog, a product, or your article on another site will not be posted. Comments containing links are always pre-moderated.
- you are welcome to share any comment using the social media share buttons made available.
- I like likes, as we all do, so please click on the heart symbol if you like what you have read!
- You can subscribe to comments threads. Click on the text that reads "Subscribe via e-mail" found above the comments box. A pop-up box will appear - simply follow the instructions to subscribe.
General, and Disclaimer
These Community Comments Guidelines are not exclusive, and James Taylor-Loftus reserves the right to add to or amend them at any time.
The comments and discussion hosting application on the James Taylor-Loftus website is meant purely for entertainment purposes. Under no circumstances will James Taylor-Loftus be liable for any harm, injury, or damages, including direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive arising out of or in connection with the use of the comments and discussion hosting application on the James Taylor-Loftus website.
Version 1.0 - 26 March 2018